Re: 3A/4A interchangeability/Gearbox adaptors

To: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Re: 3A/4A interchangeability/Gearbox adaptors
From: p.mottram@medicine.unimelb.edu.au (Patricia Mottram)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:47:50 +1000 (EST)
Phil et al,

about 5 years ago I fitted a 5-speed gearbox from a T18 Toyota to an S4
Elan. The ratios were dreadful so I had some straight cut gears made by
Hollinger Engineering here in Melbourne to match those of the ultra close
box in the original Elan (2.5:1 first gear). This combination allied to a
4.2 rear axle ratio gives a great set-up with about the same overall
gearing in "top" as the original drive train. The gear stick posiotion had
to be re-engineered  and I required a 16mm adapter plate between the bell
housing which was readily available here to suit japanese 5-speeds into
Escorts etc. I tackled the clutch throw-out by simply welding an alloy
block onto the bell housing where the original Elan one was and used the
Toyota throw-out lever and a "small" diameter slave cylinder from an
Escort. The speedo drive was very tight and very tedious but with
sufficient patience I got it to work. The gearbox mount to the chassis was
straight forward with a flat plate made to fit the appropriate Toyota
mount.

The whole job was tedious , time consuming and expensive but the owner is
very happy with it and as the car lives in my shop I drive it often and it
really works very well. With the 150hp stroker motor fitted to the car and
14*6 Minilites with good rubber it is a real weapon.

Good luck with your conversion.

Regards................David Mottram