Re: Elan 5 speed

To: "Brian D. Devlin" <brianworld@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Elan 5 speed
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 02:14:17 -0700
Howdy, Brian.  Glad to hear from you!
Just a quick reply right now, because I'm about
to fall over, if I don't get some sleep soon.

You wrote:
>I'm still interested in the Elan / five speed
>conversions that were the subject of various
>discussions of the late, lamented "gearbox group"
>and the "chapman group" earlier this year.

chapman-era *has* been remarkably quiet, and my
own personal investigation of 5-speed gearboxes
has been very much on the back burner, because I've
been horrendously busy at work.  But the pot has
not been taken off the stove!!

>What was the consensus on the best approach?

I think we've concluded that there will never really
be a consensus... which is certainly OK.

It does depend on legitimate different goals that
people will inevitably have in mind for their cars.

>1)  Of the Toyota options, what specific car
>should I be looking for in the area junkyards,
>and what modifications do I need to make to fit
>the 'box in my Elan?

OK, there was considerable info posted on this to
chapman-era earlier this year.  I'll get back to
you some time next week, about how to get access to
this information.  In a nutshell, what you need is
the early T-50 gearbox with the short tail housing.

Alternatively, you can graft an early (short) tail
housing to a late T-50 gearbox.

Brian, are you presently subscribed to chapman-era?

>2)  Did anyone ever contact Conversion
>Components to see what the Kiwi's were doing
>in this regard?  I believe New Zealand Classic
>Car Magazine's Oct. 1993 issue ran an article
>about this fellow, but I haven't obtained a copy
>yet.

Yes Chris K. contacted them and found out some
things, but I don't believe they were specifically
touting Elan bits.  They do have considerable
Ford bellhousing experience, apparently.

>3)  What about Getrag?  Are these an option,
>and if so, what specific car should I be looking
>for in the area junkyards, and what
>modifications do I need to make?

Dunno about length.  Personally I *like* Getrag,
because one of the 'boxes has quite acceptable
(close) ratios stock, and it also has a 1:1 5th
which means reduced driveline losses in top gear.

Problem is, I don't think anyone has made the
effort yet to research all the dimensional details
on the Getrag 'boxes.  Which is, of course, critical.

Off the cuff, I would say it would be blind luck if
any of the Getrag boxes will actually fit in an Elan.
Most average size 5 speed gearboxes are just too big.

Jeez this was supposed to be a brief reply....

More next week.

Regards,
Erik Berg