Re: Evaporust application?

To: Mark <lists01@canleyworks.com>
Subject: Re: Evaporust application?
From: Mark Mason <mason@postdiluvian.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:23:08 -0400
Mark <lists01@canleyworks.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have used the "Evaporust" rust removal product on a limited scale,
> and obtained quite remarkable results with small parts that can
> actually be soaked. What I have not found is a satisfactory way to
> use it on large panels.
>
> I have heard rumors of enclosed cabinets with pumps and sprayers to
> continuously apply Evaporust to large panels. It sounds intriguing,
> but it would be a rather involved project to add to my list. Does
> anyone here have any firsthand knowledge or experience to share in
> this area?

Personally, I gave up on the "magic" rust removers, they are all just
acids of some sort - usually phosphoric.  If you read the MSDS for the
rust remover it will usually say it's a proprietary formula with a pH
quivalent to a soft drink, or something like that.  You can get the
same acid that's not sold as a rust remover for a small fraction of
the price.  I got a 5lb bag of citric acid powder for around $15,
enough to remove a lot of rust, and it works as well as any of the
expensive stuff.

I have mixed it up in a kiddie pool for doing larger sheet metal
pieces.  If you have something really big then you could make a pool
of the right size with a temporary frame and some plastic sheeting, or
trash pick an old fiberglass bath tub.

The nice thing about citric acid is that it's safe enough that you can
use it to perk up a dull Gin & Tonic, most of it's even food grade.