Re: Oil Type SM

To: johno8@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Oil Type SM
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:45:12 -0400
At 11:08 AM 4/9/2006, johno8@aol.com wrote:
>The guys on Ford Barn, a web site for Model A,T and flathead fords are
>recommending that we do not use  type SM motor oil in our old cars.  The
>EPA has forced the oil industry to take zinc out of oil, and that will
>cause wear on cams.  The diesel oils still retain zinc in their oil.  They
>are recommending to use Shell Rotella T, or Castrol Tection that is type
>SJ or any oil that carries the type SJ specs, which contains zinc.
>
>Comments from old LBC owners?
>
>John Layzell
John,
I'm old and own an old LBC, so I guess I qualify to comment  :-)

The May issue of Circle Track mag has a very interesting article on
breaking-in flat tappet engines.  Quoting a section:
"Engineers at Comp Cams recently did some pretty exhaustive research on
engine oils and how well they protect flat-tappet camshafts.  As you might
expect, many of the oils failed the test, but there was a
surprise.  According to Comp, 'Because of the more severe loads in diesel
applications, many of the better diesel-use motor oils have high-pressure
friction inhibitors as good or better than any of the previous automotive
oils.  The current API ratings to look for are CI-4 Plus, CI-4 and
CF-4.  Oils that meet these standards should be recommended at least
throught the flat-tappet break-in period along with Comp Cams' Pro Cam Lube
applied to the cam and lifter and Comp Cams' Camshaft Break-in Lube oil
additive.'

Some of the diesel oils that meet these standards are: Castrol Tection
Extra SAE 15W-40, Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40, Mobil Delvac 1300
Super 15W-40 and Shell Rotella T Multigrade SAE 15W-40."

hth

Jim
--
Jim Hassall