How I chose the Marque

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: How I chose the Marque
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:21:06 -0500
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

While in College, in 1968, I helped two friends make one working MGA out of
two semi-wrecked cars.  Soon thereafter, my mom told me that a friend's son
in law had a little red car he wanted to sell.  She thought it was a
Volkswagen bug.  I went anyway and it turned out to be a TR-3.   I was
hooked immediately and, because the windshield needed replacement got the
car for $200 instead of $250.   The owner drove it to my house, removed the
plates and left.   Then I started really looking at the car and discovered
that the floors were rotted out.  I fixed it with some galvanized sheet
steel from a scrap yard and registered the car.   It failed inspection due
to front end problems.  A rebuilt front end later, it passed and I was on my
way.   No two parts of it were quite the same color red but even with its
slightly rich running, though rebuilt carbs, it always started right up.  I
had every bulb and gauge working.  I even managed to find two gears to get
the odometer working again.   I fiberglassed over rusty spots and carefully
removed opaque tape from the plastic windows so that I could clean them and
put on clear tape.  Oh, what a joy that car was to drive.  It was replaced
by a brand new 1971 GT6+ which was fun and great looking but an oven.
Within a year I replaced that with a new 71 TR-6 and I was much happier.  I
had missed the ragtop.  The 71 lasted until a fellow pulled out in front of
me in 1979 at which time I found the '73 TR-6 that I still own but can't
afford to register.

Ron L