Re: parts

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Triumphs"
Subject: Re: parts
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:21:13 -0600
At 04:28 PM 3/10/03 -0500, Fred Thomas wrote:
>List I bought a pair of T/R 3 windshield staunchions and upon closer
>examination the 4 Dzus fastners are "original" with the the following
>inscription engraved in them = DZUS = PATD =A 6 1/2-75-SE =, I have only
>seen 2 sets of these, all they need is to be rechromed, quite a find.

The "A" type is actually the most common type of Dzus fastener, dome head
short neck, and the part number is still availabke new from Dzus, generally
through a Dzus distributor (probably requiring a minimum order).  The
standard material is high carbon steel with bright cadmium plate with clear
chromate dip (spec numbers are in catalog).  Optional finishes are bright
zinc with clear chromate dip, and bright zink with dull black chromate
dip.  Also availabe in 300 series stainless steel.  Chrome plating would
appearantly be special order.

No special interest here.  I just use them occasionally in machine design
work and happen to have the catalog.  For the MG battery cover I happen to
like the Ring Head Studs, which have a heavy wire handle like a bucket bail
handle.  Easy finger operation, no tools required.

Not being familiar with the TR3, I'm a bit curious why there are Dzus
fasteners on the windscreen parts.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com