Re: Hyman Ltd. CAVEAT EMPTOR Follow-Up (Details)

To: "Silvestre A. Ortiz" <silvestre.ortiz@cditx.com>
Subject: Re: Hyman Ltd. CAVEAT EMPTOR Follow-Up (Details)
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:50:29 -0400
Hi Silvestre,

         I can sympathize with you as I also had a similar experience when
I purchased my 1953 Sunbeam Alpine in Marina del Rey, California, sight
unseen in 1995. The dealer even offered to pay my air fare from Nova Scotia
out to see the car and said it could easily be driven the 3000 miles home!
I even had someone in the area go try the car out and e-mailed me a report
and based on this, I bought the car and had the car shipped to Boston and
trailered it back to Nova Scotia.

         The car was totally misrepresented. The engine was completely
whipped and 4 years older than the car (and thus 300cc smaller than the
original), the wiring had been completely replaced by a total amateur
(nothing worked properly), the differential was totally dry and terribly
noisy (broken spider gear cage). The redeeming factor for this car was it
had an excellent body. Over the next 4 years I have rebuilt everything
except the transmission and now have a very dependable car but it has cost
me about double the original purchase price which was about a quarter of
your Healey.

         In my view, the only way to buy a car is to see it for yourself or
pay to have an expert appraisal done before purchasing. It might cost
$200.00 but it is money well spent.

Regards,
Bob

At 07:36 AM 1/29/02 -0600, you wrote:
>I have always loved british sports cars. I own a fully restored 1960 TR3A, a
>"parts car" 1960 TR3A, a 1970 TR6 in its' third year of restoration (!), and a
>1975 TR6 that is mechanically as sound as my 2001 cars, but mostly original
>(not restored), and which I drive almost daily as regular transportation. I
>have always wanted an Austin Healey 3000, Mark III, and I began looking for
>one in December, 2001. I looked in all the expected sources of possible
>listings, both in print and electronic media. Based on my past experiences, I
>was prepared to buy as much in the way of a completely restored car as I could
>afford. I live in a fairly small town in south-central Texas, so I was forced
>to look in Hemmings, big-city newspapers, club listings, "the lists," eBay,
>the internet in general, plus call friends and enlist their eyes and ears for
>possible candidates.

<SNIP>

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot  Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net