Coker Tires

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Coker Tires
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:30:53 -0800
Has anyone had experience with Coker Tires?  I actually have a very
specific question.  When they have a tire made, in particular a Michelin
XZX, do they have them made exactly like Michelin made them?  I've been
told both sides.  One is that although Coker owns the tire mold, Michelin
actually makes the tire for them and since Michelin's name is on the tire,
they are going to make it just as good as they used to.  I've also heard
that Michelin will only do what Coker pays them to do.  So, if Coker wants
cheaper or thinner rubber, or cheaper belts, Michelin will do it - even if
their name is on the tire.

I guess there is probably a limit to how "bad" they will make it with their
name on it.  But, I don't know how to know if it will still really be the
quality tire that Michelin made.

In this case, the new Coker Michelin will be almost, but not quite, 2x what
it used to cost.  But, on the other hand, Michelin discontinued it.  So
something is better than nothing.

Jay