Re: SU Fuel Pumps

To: Mike Constantine <mikecon@es.co.nz>
Subject: Re: SU Fuel Pumps
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <jear@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:01:30 -0600
Mike,

I was weaned on SU pumps and overhaul them to supplement my pension.

It is important to make sure the points "turn over" when screwing the
diaphragm into the centre of the points mechanism. As you screw the
diaphragm in, hold the pump body horizontally in your left hand and push on
its centre with your right thumb. As you start, the points will turn over
easily but as you progress it will become more difficult until eventually
they won't turn over at all. At this point, make sure the diaphragm is not
catching on the case and then turn the diphragm back to the nearest hole and
then back four more holes. It is now set correctly.

When you replace the 6 screws in the base use a small screw driver to lift
the diaphragm spindle via the points mechanism. Tighten the screws with the
spindle up and all will work correctly.

I've forgotten what the flow rate is supposed to be; perhaps someone else
will know.

Cheers, "Bob".