Re: Cortinas, junkyards and shipping from England

To: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@earthlink.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cortinas, junkyards and shipping from England
From: "FRANK UNDERWOOD" <funder77@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:12:06 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@earthlink.net>
To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 11:08 PM
Subject: Cortinas, junkyards and shipping from England

> Does anyone on the list know of any Ford Cortinas in junk yards?

No.

But there is the North Anerican Eanglish Ford Registry

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/2519/

 I am looking for a rear differential from one.  I'm not too particular
about
> the ratio, but if I had a choice it would be (in the following order of
> preference) 3.7, 3.55,  or 3.9.

There was one in a junkyard in Monroe Georgia ( between Atlanta and Athens
GA) '72 MK2 matched to an automatic transmission
and a 2-Dr coupe

 An alternative would be to get one from
> England.

 However, the last time I got something heavy from England it
> cost me almost as much in airfreight and freight handling as the item
> itself.

Does anyone know how to get items from England without paying an
> arm and leg for freight.  I would assume that it should go by boat...
> does this avoid the freight handling charge ($84 on a windshield I had
> shipped from England)

October '99  my two(2) windscreens cost me $96 US ;-)

[that was the tax on the 'free' airfare on Delta/AirFrance that I cashed in
on the Sprint telephone rewards point gimmick] ... I also traveled to UK to
attend the All ford Rally at Abingdon ( birthplace of Morris Goarage). I
took a corragated carton with me to pack the windscreens and checked them as
baggage.  A little oversized and bear to tug along on the public
transportation system, but when I got home, I had a great weekend trip and
my two windscreens.

 Some items I have gotten from England came by
> regular mail and the postage was fairly cheap and no hassle... how much
> weight will "regular mail" accept?  I am not in a huge hurry for the
> parts so it is no big deal if they go by boat.

Although in today's shipping business you are not paying as much for speed
as you are for space. You will be charged for the dimesional space the rear
end will occupy as well as the weight.

If you are in the state of California- you may be able to locate a 2nd hand
rear end a lot easier-  But since we don't know where you are.....

Frank Underwood
59 Ford Consul MKII Lowline convertible
http://members.aol.com/funder770/home.htm
Atlanta GA USA (well sort of....)