Lucas Distributor database

To: mini-list@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Distributor database
From: marcel chichak <chichm@planet.eon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 10:36:11 -0700
Miniacs and SOL mates,

Waaaay back in the dark ages I remember looking at a copy of "Tuning Lucas
Distributor Systems" in a bookstore and thinking that it was interesting,
but not of too much value. Of course, I was just 14 at the time so who can
blame me? About the instant I left the shop they transferred them to the
remainder bin and I never saw the title again. It's always been in the back
of my mind, particularly when I'm poking through my milk crates full of
distributors with numbers that are not mentioned in my workshop manuals.
Probably those are from my days of playing with MGB's but why have I got 6
cylinder distributors??

Last year I managed to buy a Sun 500 distributor testing machine at an auto
repair shop auction. Paid just $100 CDN (about $1.25 US) and, yes, I stole
it. When I finally had a method of testing, the book came back to mind
immediately. I sent out APB's and called favours, but in the end I paid the
price and got it off Ebay. Unfortunately it's not as I remember because it
doesn't list the application each goes with. Also, because it was only
issued in it's first edition, the data stops at about 1973.

Seeing as I had so much trouble finding the title and those that need just
one piece of information will likely not bother tracking one down so will
do without, I've decided to post the data to my web page. It'll go along
with a few technical articles I've been working on. I've OCR'ed the data
tables so I have a spreadsheet with about 950 distributors. There's still
proofing to do, so don't ask for it yet.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN: I need to augment the data. I have test data for
everything from service number 40033 to 41398 so all I need from that range
is application. From 41399 onwards I need both test data and application. I
pulled the data from my Mini workshop manual which covers everything up to
'80 and my Landcrab manual covering all models. A sample of what I'm after
is located here:

http://www.planet.eon.net/~chichm/distributor.htm

So, go to the workshop, dig up your MG, Triumph, Jag, Vauxhall or whatever
manual and get me:

for distributors between 40033 and 41398 - application data only
for distributors above 41399 - all data as laid out on the sample page.

Send the information directly to me, not the lists. I'll compile it and
post the table in PDF format sometime in January.

THANKS!!!
--Marcel Chichak    chichm@planet.eon.net
        Edmonton Alberta Canada, eh?
  Peek into my world: www.planet.eon.net/~chichm