O' Kane Classic Book

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: O' Kane Classic Book
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:34:37 -0500
> O'Kane, Dick, _How to Repair your Foreign Car_. Garden City, NY,
Doubleday,
> 1968. 178pp, illus. by John Mecray.

****I bought this book @ 1970 and have cherished it ever since.  I
especially liked the 'perspective' which is true ZEn (much like Zen and the
Art of Motorcycle MAintenance) but the subject matter the cars we Love an
Hate to Hate when we should 'Hate'.

The following is from memory, as I haven't looked at the book in years, but
know EXACTLY where it is on my shelf....(will ply it out tonight after this
wondeful thread)...

I appreciated the doodles/(cartoons), and between the 'perspective' ("On
most cars you take the starter off the engine, but on the E-Jag, you remove
the car from the starter".) If you've ever de=puzzled this job- you'll know
exactly what he means.

I especially recall that on a trip to calif in my 4.2 Jag in 1972, the Fuel
pump became irratic. The book had a wonderful diagram and 'fix'- so this
book is very useful if you have the problems he addresses.  I think I also
remember something about wire wheel flats.

I do remember a characature of feet sticking out under an MGTD? with tools
and an oil puddle on the ground .... So common when we are 'under there' and
despite our 'educated and experienced 'guesses' as to spanner size- we keep
mis-estimating with the view we have...

Enjoyable  and truly educating knowledge- was 'the list'- before 'the list',
so to speak.
Must have clearly been one of my  motivators to collect an assortment of
British Cars (to match the various pictures of course).

Sherman
Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia MD

TR4 'The Toy of Joy'
2 Jensens: '76 GT & '74Interceptor COnvertible
4 Jags: '72 E-Type III(V-12) FHC; '89 XJS Convert(V-12);XJ12C (Camellia's,
I'm just Caretaker);
96 XJR 4.0 Supercharged