Re: Bullitty

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bullitty
From: "Glen Wilson" <rstca@hemmings.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:00:30 -0500
> What, you mean McQeen didn't do his own driving in Le Mans either?

If he didn't, the a whole lot of books have it wrong.  He may not have
driven in every scene, but I've read interviews with pro drivers at the time
who said he really was quite competent.

I've never read what McQueen himself had to say.  James Garner did some of
his own driving in "Grand Prix" and commented that he thought he did pretty
well based upon being able to just about keep up with some of the pros on
their way back around the track for retakes at a given location.  He seemed
to have no illusions whatsoever that he would be competitive with them in
equivalent cars in a real race.  He knew better than that, but he had lots
of fun all the same.

I think there were comments from both movies to the effect that the scariest
place to be was near the camera car.  One of his co-stars actually didn't
know how to drive.  I think he said it was Brian Bedford but it might have
been Yves Montand.  At any rate, the cut one of the cars in half and hooked
it up like a trailer to the camera car (which I think was a Ford GT40 with
much of the body removed).  Garner said he wasn't afraid to drive the cars
fast but that the idea of sitting in that little cockpit being towed around
at 150 mph was something he wanted nothing to do with.

Both movies are enjoyable to watch, but I prefer "LeMans" because they had
the good judgement to basically dispense with any plot.  "Grand Prix" is
real vintage soap opera stuff, and Garner's character is not easy to like.

I don't remember Paul Newman making any racing films, but I gather he's
still driving race cars at 75 plus.  Of course, he's a real race car driver
and can probably make a phone call to friends and get to drive just about
any vintage racing car he'd care to.  Can you imagine that? You watch
something on SpeedVision and say to yourself,  "Hey, I wonder what it would
be like to drive a McLaren M8a?"   Two phone calls and a week later you're
cruisin around Lime Rock in a genuine Kiwi Can Am car....

Glen