Steering Rack Identification Needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Rack Identification Needed
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:52:27 -0800 (PST)
A friend here at work is trying to identify the rack and pinion
steering unit in a hot rod project he has acquired.  The project is a
'32 B Ford pickup with lots of Jag suspension components.  He would
like to replace the rack gaiters, but a perusal of the local Jag
dealer's parts catalogs hasn't resulted in a positive ID of this rack.
A hot rod guru he has been consulting thinks it's a '60s E-Type rack,
but isn't positive.  Anyway, I thought maybe someone on the list
could help out if I supplied a description.  It looks very similar to
my rack, which is a slight variation on an MGB rack.  The main
difference I can see is that the mounting holes for my rack are
vertical, while the ones for his are horizontal.  Some dimensions:

  tie rod diameter at gaiter clamp ~7/16"
  rack diameter at gaiter clamp ~2 1/8"
  gaiters have 9 bellows each.

I can supply digitized pictures if that would help.

Thanks,

Roland