Re: Bullitt (not much LBC content)

To: "John McEwen" <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bullitt (not much LBC content)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:52:54 -0600
From: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>

>The Dodge was a Charger as mentioned.  It was not a Hemi car but was a 440
>(7.2 litres) - suitably prepared.  These cars were not faked and the scenes
>were not faked.

Not only that, but it was the first modern Hollywood movie in which both
cars in a chase were driven by the actors.  McQueen did his own driving, and
in a turn-about, the guy with the glasses was actually a stunt driver doing
a bit of acting.

>The 440 engine was considerably lighter than the Hemi

This certainly surprises me.  Why would the Hemi be particularly heavy?

>and made better low-end power which was useful for the film.

Absolutely.  The 440 had more grunt than a Hemi.  They were the engine of
choice for motor homes.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.