Re: WHEEL BEARING ADJUSTMENT

To: <TJAZZED@aol.com>, "British cars list" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: WHEEL BEARING ADJUSTMENT
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 00 13:59:14 -0700
>I remember reading on this list that there was an alternate
>method of adjustment that involves using a torque wrench at a certain #???
>Lbfeet and then backing off a flat on the nut.
>Anyone know anything about this method???

Yep.  The question was about a TR3.  The answer was torque the nut down
to 10  pounds then back off between one and one point five flats.  This
is straight out of the factory TR3 service manual.

(Has no one a factory service manual that they use when working on their
car?)

I later mentioned to someone that a new felt oil seal compresses a lot
after a little driving.  I suggested repeating the adjustment procedure
about 100 miles or so after initial adjustment when a new felt seal is
installed.  This isn't in the factory manual but it tightened up my front
wheels while keeping the bearing loading in accordance with the factory
manual.

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.