The Millionth Land Rover and a 'Darien Gap' Range Rover - driving both o

Subject: The Millionth Land Rover and a 'Darien Gap' Range Rover - driving both of them
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 01:08:18 +0100
Friends
Sorry to bomb the lists that don't necessarily focus on Landies but this is
primarily
aimed at newsletter editors outside the UK with an interest in Land and Range
Rover. If
you are not an avid enthusiast for these makes but know someone who is, please
pass this
message on. It *may* be of interest to an editor who is stuck for copy and pix
for a
forthcoming edition.
On Sunday, I drove the one millionth Land Rover in a 50 mile run with 450 other
classic
cars around Warwickshire, taking in Coventry, Solihull and the countryside near
Stratford
upon Avon. The vehicle is in Apple Green metallic and owned by The Heritage
Motor Centre
at Gaydon (where I am employed). This material is yours for the asking,
providing you give
credit to its origin, author and copyright. In other words,  it's entirely FREE
as are the
150dpi colour jpegs.
There is also a brief description of my road impressions driving one of the
British Trans
American Expedition Range Rovers on the journey home. More familiarly known as
the 'Darien
Gap' vehicles, these are both owned by BMIHT and are very early examples that
comprehensively put the Range Rover on the world map just after its launch in
1970.
The material will hopefully be released for publication by BMIHT in about a
week from now
(maybe a bit less) so interested recipients can contact me off-list at this
address. I
have intentionally not sent this post from my terminal at work for fear of
being inundated
with other requests I might not be able to handle with my current workload.

John Macartney