Re: Wire Wheel Paint

To: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Paint
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:21:30 -0400
"Keith A. Edwards" wrote:

> Krylon "Dull Aluminum" is very close.  Friends have gotten very
> favorable comments, even a concours TR4A IRS that I know of.

  I use "Aluminum" for my steel wheeled cars and it looks
great. I don't know or care if it's originally, but it does
look really nice.

  The matte look is just perfect, it's shiny and bright but
you don't need total surface perfection to be satisfied
like if you try a chrome paint or something.

> Probably add their Clear on top.

  I have a friend who did this to TR-3 wire wheels, and the
clearcoat made the wheels significantly less bright.

  Our theory is that the paint itself is slightly textured
so it sprayed light all over like a diamond ring in a spotlight,
and looked great.

  The clear filled in the pits and dried smooth, so it then
became more like smooth grey paint.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca