Re: Smog laws again

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: Smog laws again
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:05:26 -0400
Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com wrote:
> I will say I don't buy the electric car answer yet since it's simply
> putting the exhaust in someone else's back yard.

  Agreed, but there is some to be gained here. While energy production
usually comes with an emissions price tag, it's easier to keep emissions
under control and in check when at a central plant than out in
a few million vehicles.

  Please understand I am not advocating scrapping everything and going
to electric cars, I love my LBCs.

  However, you have to know your enemy.

  Nothing goes down worse with political powers than ill-advised
opinions like "my car makes no emissions because I change my
spark plugs hourly" and such.

  When trying to do anything in politics or it's derivatives, you
have to know the points that work against you and defuse them.

  In this case, central power generation and electric cars
has some good points.

> Fortunately, the pre '75 cars are still exempt (note '75 cars are not
> exempt).  Unfortunately, 75 and later cars were some of the most
> problematic with trying to get smog equipment and engines to mate together
> well.

  Sadly, that is the case with british cars. What works against
us is that some car companies were starting to product viable
emissions control systems in the late 70s that still work and
can still be maintained today.

  This isn't so true with our cars.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.