Re: UK fleet driving test = USA autocross?

To: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>, <AH1962SP@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: UK fleet driving test = USA autocross?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:29:14 -0500
From: John J. Black <transmancat@bbnow.net>

>Hi Phil
>Sorry to say the British Auto test scene is nothing like the American
>Autocross, I happen to like both, the US version is a twisty circuit
against
>the clock. The Auto test is testing driving skills including backing into a
>small spaces, getting close to cones etc without hitting them and other
such
>fun ideas, plus your against the clock. It usually involves lots of parking
>brake turns and a great deal of steering wheel twirling, often lock to lock
>in a short space of time.

What we used to call funkhana (variation of gymkhana which was synonymous
with autocross in the Twin Cities in the 60s.

I drove an excellent funknana (the funkhana was excellent, my driving of it
was not) at the Vintage Triumph Register national convention a few years
back.  The theme was "Alice in Wonderland".  Very imaginative, and lots of
fun was had by all.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/