Re: Stainless Steel Brake Linesy

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel Brake Linesy
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:24:00 -0700 (PDT)
> In a message dated 5/15/00 2:33:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> mikey@b2systems.com writes:
>
> <<  Where and what should be
>  used ? >>
>
> Mike is right, don't use house hold copper tubing!  The Brits sell a copper
> alloy for brake likes.  They don't like steel becasue it rust out too
> fast...I've used brake lines from the local auto parts store on two of my
> cars.  They come in several lengths and are alread flared, of course you
> can't used the fittings on a Brit car but you can use one of the
> flares....Roland shouldn't have any problems with rust where he lives...
> Cheers
> Terry

Terry et all,

It's not entirely true about not being able to use the fittings- that is
if you have the right car.  When I switched to AN Teflon/SS braid lines,
I had to make up some new hard lines with AN flares and fittings at one
end.  I purchased pre-made lines with fittings at both ends from a local
auto parts stored.  I did have to remove the fittings and re-flare the
AN ends, but the fittings on the other end were identical to the ones on
the original lines.  The lines going into and out of the Girling master
cylinders hade the same fittings, BTW.  I suspect these standard
fittings were common on later British Cars.  My car is a '64, but was
assembled in '63.

Roland