Re: Dehumidifiers

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Dehumidifiers
From: David Hallam <hallam@rschp1.anu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:58:28 +1100 (EDT)
These devices work either like a air conditioner cooling the air to drop
out the water then using the outer side to partially reheat the air or by
having an absorbtive wheel through which the air is passed (the wheel is
turned slowly and part of it is always being regenerated).
The cheap a/c type only really work in a warm wet environment and will not
be effective if the air is cooler than 5centigrade.
The Wheel type (made by Munters(sweden) Cargocaire in the US) are best,
but expensive $2k as starters.
The munters type are used extensively for creating low RH enviroments for
storage. We use the munters for out long term museum storage and have the
a/c type on hand for floods and a/c failures.
Both require that you can get the moist air or water out of the storage
area or they just work against themselves.
Hope that helps.

Oh heating is a very expensive way to lower RH. The munters type system
requires no heaters at all so it is good for the object (car) but not as a
working environment in winter.

David Hallam                               Senior Conservator of Objects
                            John Treloar Centre for Conservation Science
Australian War Memorial      PO Box 345 Canberra City ACT 2601 Australia
ph  -61 6 243 4534(w)                                 fax -61 6 241 7998
David.Hallam@awm.gov.au        hallam@rschp1.anu.edu.au   _/~~\_|\
Conservation of Functional Objects and Modern Materials (          !
Without Treatment Development our past can only rot!     \_,-~~~\_*<-This
                                                                 \/  Side!
Volvo 164, Daimler DB18, V8 250, BMW R100, Motobecane TL125, Morris Major.
Standard Disclaimer; These are my views and may not be my organisations!