Re: Importing into US

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, chrisste@clark.net
Subject: Re: Importing into US
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 08:24:08 -0600

> A friend of mine want to bring his 1989 Land Rover back with him from
> assignment in Africa. Does anyone know what is required...smogging and DOT
> safety stuff, etc?

Call the US customs. They willsend you a booklet on requirements. You will havwe
to contactthe EPA about emmisions requirements. If the LR is NOT
a US spec one, there will be a list as long as your arm about
changing  safety features to US specs...it's VERY detailed. I believe it can
get a little expensive. Tell him to flog it and buy a pre '68 and bring that
in instead....no smog or bumper regs to pass.

Marcus