SOL-Colorado outings.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SOL-Colorado outings.
From: southern@isis.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 12:47:53 MST
-Last Saturday was a celebration of BIG horsepower. Jean Hertzberg, our
 SOL-Colorado Front-Rangers combustion expert, invited Scotty and I to
 join her engineering honors students on a tour of the F-16 jet engine
 maintenence facility at the Denver's Buckley Air Nat'l Guard base.  We
 spent a couple hours getting up close and personal with a disassembled
 GE F100 jet engine, peppering a very patient Master-Sgt with tons of
 question and marveling at the simplicity and complexity of a modern jet
 engine.  Then we went out and saw their engine test facility, then
 watched them roll an AWACS, a bunch of F16's, 2 F15's and 4 F4's.  We
 had to leave before the E-3 and the F18's launched.  Needless to say,
 my 6-year old airplane-fanatic son, Tristan, was in heaven.  His dad
 was pretty impressed too.  Afterwards, over lunch, the following plans
 were hatched:

-Some of us british-cars Colorado Front-Rangers are planning on getting
 together up in the mountains for the Perseids meteor shower.  There's a
 neat old 1940's era log Bed and Breakfast 5 miles above Estes Park,
 just off the Peak-to-Peak highway, within 100 meters of the Rocky Mt.
 Nat'l Park boundary.  It's called the Bald Pate Inn in honor of the
 smooth, rock topped mountain which overlooks the place.  Nearby,
 there's hiking trails, a lake and some meadows and, if the weather
 cooperates, it should be fantastic.  There's also some camping sites
 close by, one of which is the jumpoff point for hiking up Longs Peak.
 Unfortunately, the Inn is booked up for the peak night of the meteor
 shower, Sat Aug 12, so we've made our reservations for Fri Aug 11.  If
 anyone is planning a trip out here around that time, you're welcome to
 join us.  The number for the Bald Pate is 303-586-6151, their rates are
 $60 a night and they serve a pretty nice dinner too.

-At long last, version 2.0.0 of the Daimler rebuild saga starts tomorrow
 morning.  Yeah!   Coffee, donuts and air wrenches.  I'll try to get
 some pictures taken and scanned for the WWW homepage I'm building at:
    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/southern/my.html

-Does anyone know of an authoritative book about the Jag XK engine?  I
 opened an old 1958 book I have on jags and there was a chapter on the
 development of the XK engine that I found very interesting.  I'd like
 to know more.

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________