re: Midget engine pulling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British-Cars)
Subject: re: Midget engine pulling
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 1:08:12 EST
>I wonder how much such a Midget engine weights. It is hardly bigger than
>a motorcycle engine, but of course not made out of light metal alloy.
>  When I have to pull my engine, can I
>simply throw a rope over the trusses in my garage and pull, or would I
>be better off to invest some money and buy one of those big, ugly, engine-
>pulling things?

        Midget engines are light, for a 4-cyl iron engine.  In my younger days
I pulled a sprite engine (sans head, trans, accessories) by hand.  That's
right, no pulleys, no rope, etc (though I did have my brother on the other
side).  And this wasn't a bugeye, it was a MK II.  I'd say, though, it wasn't
a really smart idea, and in retrospect I probably wouldn't do it again
(and I'm not 19 anymore either).
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com