cleaning up a fender

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: cleaning up a fender
From: "Kevin A. Strait" <strai001@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 08:35:31 -0500
>From: "Jeffrey J. Griglack" <jeff@wahoo.jjm.com>
>Subject:   Eastwood spotweld cutter & cleaning up a fender

stuff deleted

>Second, I am, as I said, trying to clean up the a used fender to put
>on in place of the existing (crunched) one.  The problem I am having
>is getting it off the internal structure that came with it without
>wrecking what I want.  Any suggestions??

>Thanks,
>Jeff Griglack

I might be mistaken on this but if you are planning to reweld the fender using a
wire feed welder set to spot weld you are going to have to drill holes in one of
the panels anyway.  When I was re-doing my TR6 I also started by cutting the
spot welds with a cutter being careful to cut the piece I was going to replace
and then grinding the buttons off the piece to be reused. This was a pain. I
soon relized that by doing this I ended up drilling holes in one of the pieces
at the end anyway so that I could reweld them.  Therefore, an easier solution
was to drill a hole through the spot welds on both the piece to be replaced and
the piece to be saved and then use the hole in the salvaged piece to reweld the
new panel.  Is it possible you could do the same thing with your fender?

Kevin Strait