Re: 74 Midget Engine/Trannie Pulling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 Midget Engine/Trannie Pulling
From: Jeff Haferman <haferman@icaen.uiowa.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 16:26:01 -0600

> From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>:
>
> Steve Smith writes:
>
> > Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not I
> > should take out the transmission while I'm at it?  The
> > author recommends it but the idea of removing the whole
> > gearbox kind of makes me nervous.
>
>   I've got a '74 Midget in which I've just re-installed the
> engine and transmission.  It wasn't really all that tricky
> to pull and replace the engine and tranny together, maybe easier that
> seperating them in the car.  I just followed the
> manual step by step.  I found I needed to replace the rubber
> transmission mounts, and they'd be difficult to inspect,
> much less replace, with the tranny in the car.

I just rebuilt the engine in my '74 MGB this past summer.  I
would say *definitely* pull the engine and tranny as a unit.
The bolts that hold them together as a unit are not the
easiest to get at.  Also, once you have them out, you can
pull them apart and inspect the clutch, as well as get the
transmission housing cleaned up, and can recondition all nuts
and bolts.

Unless you're very good at engine pulling, this is a two person
job.  The engine comes out at an angle that would be very
difficult for one person to manage (though now that I have
experienced it, I know I could pull it myself).

For reassembly, make sure you could a clutch realignment tool
(about $3 from Moss).  Also, there are some rubber spacers
on the transmission mounts that might need to be replaced.

Have fun!

+            Jeff Haferman                         PH: (319) 335-5384        +
+ Department of Mechanical Engineering             FX: (319) 335-5669        +
+  and Center for Global and Regional            The University of Iowa      +
+        Environmental Research                   Iowa City, IA  52242       +
+ http://www.cgrer.uiowa.edu/people/haferman e-mail:haferman@icaen.uiowa.edu +