Eastwood spotweld cutter & cleaning up a fender

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Eastwood spotweld cutter & cleaning up a fender
From: "Jeffrey J. Griglack" <jeff@wahoo.jjm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 23:40:42 -0500
Warning--This is a little long.

Well I have finally gotten around to working on (replacing) the left
rear fender of my '73 MGB-GT.  I got the car, with damage, last
January and I got a used fender (more like 1/4 of the car) last
summer.  Since I was celebrating 1 year of having the car, I thought I
would get started on the work.

First, someone asked me to let them know how well the Eastwood
Spotweld Cutter works.  I can now say that it seems to work pretty
well.  They say you can just center punch the weld, but I have had
better results with drilling the pilot point a little deeper.  I am
left with a small "button" of metal where the weld was.  Going is a
little slow, but the result is worth it when one of the pieces is to
be saved.

Second, I am, as I said, trying to clean up the a used fender to put
on in place of the existing (crunched) one.  The problem I am having
is getting it off the internal structure that came with it without
wrecking what I want.  I don't think I will have this problem when
taking off the old panel because I can take it off in pieces, but I
really have to take the replacement off in one piece.

Breaking some of the welds has been easy, but others are difficult
because I can't get to them cleanly.  Such trouble spots are in the
wheel well (I would like to get at it from behind, but the well walls
are in the way).  I tried to cut the well in half with a sawzall, but
the end of the sill is still there and in the way.  I am afraid that
this is a little more than my reciprocating saw can handle.  Also, the
metal cutting blades that I can get are too short to go all the way
through, and I have bent the blade in half a couple of time going
partway through.

How should I proceed?  My options, as I see them, are:

1.  Keep streightening out the sawzall blades.  When I get an open
section, it cuts like butter and leaves no distortion.

2.  Try the circular saw with a metal cutting blade.  Not sure I like
this idea because I have had that hop back on me once on a piece of
good, hard oak.  I think metal might be worse.

3.  Grinder.  I have a little one that might be able to cut this, but
I am really not equiped to handle heavier duty stuff.

4.  Chisle and 3 lb. hammer.  I have tried it but it seems to do a
number on the other parts too.  Also, it is hard to hold the piece
from walking away from the chisle.  I think this technique will work
better on a piece attached to the car.

5.  Local body shops.  I could bring it to one and ask them to clean
it up for me.  This might be my best option because I am going to need
some help with some of the welding when I put it back on anyway (I can
handle a rented spot welder, but my arc welding leaves something to be
desired).

6.  Buy a new piece.  I had a line on a brand new one last year, but I
was too cheap to buy it.  The used one was worth it for the lights I
got with it alone, so I am not really out anything, but I hate to just
give up on it.

Those are the options as I see it.  I know a body man who works cheap,
so I might give him a call.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jeff Griglack
--
|Jeff Griglack                           | Well, you've heard of the         |
|New address:  jeff@wahoo.jjm.com        | information superhighway?  This is|