Re: Overdrive Solenoid TrbleShting

To: TestNav@aol.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive Solenoid TrbleShting
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 08:40:51 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 22 Jan 1995 TestNav@aol.com wrote:

> My TR-4A overdrive (A-type) solenoid plunger will be drawn up as advertised
> when the operating lever is engaged and in gear.  However, when moved out of
> gear, or the operating lever is moved to the off position, the plunger stays
> in the up position.  Power is not present at the solenoid, so the holding
> circuit is not holding the plunger up.  It does not APPEAR to be binding in
> the bore.
Are you doing this test with the car (rear wheels) at rest?  If so, this
is the problem.  Run the car at 20, 40 mph, something like that, and try
again.  The hydraulic pressure built up by the oil pump is what forces
the arm back.

> Also, why does the plunger piston have a flat side on it?

I haven't thought of a reason, but I imagine some wiseguy(gal) will tell us
why.

        Good luck,
                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6