Lucas Coils and Capacitor Sizing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Coils and Capacitor Sizing
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 14:41:41 EST
Bill Putnam
hlputnam@students.wisc.edu
Writes:

>With all of this discussion on what a ballast resistor does, does
>anyone know about the match between the inductance of the coil and
>capacitance of the condensor?  My situation is that I have an
>older MG that no longer has the original coil, but the Lucas
>Sports coil that I have now although it works fine is, I believe,
>not well matched to the original-value condensor, and hence I
>seem to go through points more quickly than I should.
>
>Any ideas?  Am I on the right track?

Typical values for capacity range from 0.18 to 0.32 microFarads.

Assuming that the coil is wired in place correctly- -

If you have a Negative Earth vehicle use the Minus Rule. "Minus Metal on the
Minus Point means Minus Capacity."

or
        - When your points burn up if the metal is removed from the earth side
of the points and is deposited on the coil side of the points you need more
capacity.
        - When your points burn up if the metal is removed from the coil side
of the points and is deposited on the earth side of the points you need less
capacity.

Mark Jurras
jurrasm@torrington.com    = =o&o