Re: A/C in Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A/C in Midget
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 13:12:28 -0500
Just my 2 cents worth on the subject--

1) rough idle - try increasing the idle speed a bit on the carb adjustment.
The increased load to run the compressor needs to be overcome.

2) poor acceleration - well, yes.  What manufacturers do now with factory
A/C on small cars is this -- use an electric compressor clutch, and
install a vacuum sensor switch on the intake manifold.  Wire the sensor
in series with your dash switch.  The object is to have the compressor
clutch automatically disengage when the vacuum sensor sees you are
accelerating.

I am not going to discuss manifold vacuum levels, as last time I considered
the subject, I failed to account for the fact that the carb. butterfly
changes
the effective size of the intake orifice.

Best of luck to you,
Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)
Lots of Spitfire + GT6 parts, but none assembled into an actual car. Argh.