Kit Car Regulations

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Kit Car Regulations
From: mcdpw@pacific.pacific.net (Granville Pool)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 10:59:20 -0800
Fellow Netters,

In the hopes that some of you on this list have Caterham Super Sevens or
other "kit" vehicles and that, perhaps, you live in California, I wish to
tap your knowledge of California's (and DOT's) regulations for importing and
registering such kit vehicles.  I would appreciate anything you can tell me
about what I would face if I were to get such a kit to build a vehicle.

In my case, the "kit" in which I am interested is the Foers Ibex (actually
its as-yet-unnamed replacement which is supposed to become available this
month), a space-frame-based four-wheel drive vehicle with all non-curved
bodywork.  The spaceframe incorporates a roll-cage structure and is
monolithically built of rectangular steel tubing, then drilled, then hot-dip
galvanized.  The bodywork is all of simply-bent pieces of galvanized or
zinc-coated steel inner and aluminum alloy outer sheets which are riveted or
bolted in place.  The "kit" consists of a fully-assembled body stucture,
including seals, doors, and windows installed.  Then all suspension, running
gear, steering, and many other components are to be supplied from a donor
Land-Rover vehicle, which must be one of the newer coil-sprung models,
preferably the "Defender" style ('though most could also be taken from a
Discovery or Range Rover).  Many of the Ibices which have been built have
had non-Land-Rover diesel engines fitted, as they are mostly in U.K. and
Europe where petrol prices are oh, so high.  I am pretty sure that there are
not yet any Foers vehicles in the Americas.

I desire to get one of these beasts and fit it with the Rover aluminum V-8,
preferably one of the newer efi models, preferrably 3.9l or larger.  I have
been told that the engine that you fit determines the regulations that
apply.  Is this true?  If I fit a pre-1975 engine, would I not have to have
catalytic converters?

What other regulations would apply?  Can I even do such a vehicle legally?
Does anyone know?  Thanks in advance for any information and advice that you
can offer.
[ G.B.Pool(Redwood Vly, CA, USA)Appraiser,R/W Agent,Land-Rover aficionado ]
[ e-mail: mcdpw@pacific.pacific.net ** Ph:(707)485-7220 H,(707)463-4265 W ]