Crosleys

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Crosleys
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 13:15:05 -0500
Some one told me once that every B-29 (that was a WWII bomber for you younger
SOL'ers) had a Crosley engine in the wing to power the Aux system in case one
of main engines went out.  Maybe there were two per plane, anyway, after the
war when these bombers were scrapped, tons of the little OHC engines were
available for next to nothing hence their popularity for racing in the small
CC classes. There would have been plenty in Europe at that time too.
Availability was one factor but the power to weight ratio was excellent too.
 Anyone else heard this story??

I quote form the 1953 "Sports Car Album", which incidently features a
Arnolt-MG on the cover, under the Siata section "The beautiful little Spider
roadster can be bought in Italy w/WW for less than $2,000; its then fitted by
the customer with the engine of his choice. An American would choose the
excellent Crosley "Super Sports" engine for which Nardi has speed
equipment...."  "The car is then ready to race"......

A club member offered me a Crosley engine free, guess I ought to take him up
on it!  Then all I would need is the Siata Spider....beautiful little
Cheers
Terry