Rubber Bumper Noses for '75 Spit

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rubber Bumper Noses for '75 Spit
From: SeanFJohns@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 22:28:43 -0500
I've disassembled my '75 Spitfire rear bumper, had the inside blasted out,
primed and painted, and redone all the brackets.  I even used brass wool on
the outside and cleaned it up as well as it's going to get without
re-plating.

So far so good.  Now for the rubber noses.  Not being quite old enough to
remember the days of chrome-only bumpers, I kind of like the rubber noses
(Heresy! So sue me.).  I'm also not quite ready to leave the bumper hanging
in the wind because the noses aren't there (and neither are the brackets).

I can just imagine the British engineer sitting in the design studio:  "Now
if I pot this nut INSIDE the rubber bumper, there won't be an unsightly plug
in the rubber nose!"  Since Ohio has been referred to as a charter member of
the rust belt, guess what happens to that nut and bolt?  Rusted solid;
hacksawed off.  I've tried to drill out the old nut and insert a new one, but
I wasn't satisfied with the results.  It's also too much work for too little
gain.

Anybody out there have a pair of rear bumper noses they'll let go for a
reasonable price?

Sean Johnson