RE: 4 pt. harnesses

To: Sheening Lin <IZZYOX3@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: 4 pt. harnesses
From: Rocky Entriken <0003006623@mcimail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 00:35 EST
My suggestion (in addition to what Jeff said) would be to add the fifth point
to the harness -- the submarine strap.

Unless you are in a severely upright position where the lap belt exerts greater
force than the shoulder harnesses, most 4-point setups have the unhandy aspect
that when you tighten the shoulder straps, it pulls the lap belt buckle up
into your ribcage and solar plexus when it should be firm against your hips
and pelvic bones.

I sit fairly upright in my car (a Prepared Spitfire) so I do not need the
submarine strap to prevent submarining -- sliding into the footwell in the
event of a head-on. But the sub strap serves me best by keeping the lap belt
down and providing the counter-force to the upward pull of the shoulder straps.

(My trick when buckling up: I give the sub strap a half-twist so that I have
the flat side of the strap and not the edge against my thighs while driving).

--Rocky

Above from Rocky Entriken
           Reply through Team.Net or Send direct e-mail via Internet to:
                            R.Entriken@mcimail.com

  The Internet: "A giant international network of intelligent, informed
  computer enthusiasts, by which I mean `people without lives.'" --Dave Barry