A TR3 thing.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A TR3 thing.
From: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 00:54:04 -0600
Hello all - a belated merry Christmas and happy New Year.

I spoke with my uncle the other day and he has a deal I may not be able to
pass up.  You see, he just purchased a TR3 and has since decided he hasn't
room, time, or money to work on it.  He has offered to sell the car to me for
what he paid for it, as if I had room, time, or money for a restoration!  For
this one, I may be able to squeeze a bit.  He couldn't recall the year
offhand, but thinks it's a '57 or '58 or so - it does have the wide grille if
that helps pinpoint the year.  It's black with wire wheels.  60,000 miles.  He
purchased it from the original owner.  The ORIGINAL OWNER of a TR3.  It has
lived its whole life in Kansas, never been driven on snow.  It's completely
rust-free, except for a bit of surface stuff on the floor panels.  I
understand that it's pretty much all original.  It's been sitting for ten
years, but it does run.  It was hit lightly in the rear, so some repair in
that area will be necessary, though my uncle says it looks like the frame's
OK.  He has done two ground-up TR3 restorations so I trust that his evaluation
is not too far off.  Anyway, he purchased the car for $1300 and is willing to
sell it to me for that much.  It sounds like a hell of a deal to me, but I
thought I would seek out NetWisdom(tm) on the subject.  If this is in fact as
good a deal as it sounds, then I guess I have another dependent at home.  If I
do decide to grab this thing and restore it, is there a good place to get a
FAQ, list of parts suppliers, etc.?  Are there any bizarre obscure problems
it's likely to have that I should look for before buying?  Any other
advice/caveats/etc?  Thanks in advance!

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu