MGB Tyre wear & alignment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Tyre wear & alignment
From: RicJohnson@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 14:09:05 -0500
 atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman ) writes:

"I believe that there is no adjustment (other than the track rod ends) on the
front end of a B.
My tyres are wearing round the inside (both wheels)."

Hello Arthur,

I'd  suspect that you are experiencing increased negative camber due to wear
on the front suspension bushings, a fairly common occurrence with B's.  As
you correctly note, there is no adjustment available to compensate for this;
a replacement of the bushings is the only cure.  One can significantly
decrease the frequency that this repair is needed by using the harder
bushings as supplied for the V8 GTs in lieu of the stock pieces (no modificati
ons needed).  We did this upgrade to my '71 Tourer over 6 years ago.  We've
put quite a few miles on since then, as well as the car being driven
enthusiastically in somewhere in excess of 50 autocross competitions, and
have noticed no appreciable wear in the bushings.  The V8 bushings are
definitely worth the small additional expense.

Ric Johnson
Des Moines, Iowa
'71 MGB, '75 MGB, '74 MGB-GT