Re:abrake question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:abrake question
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 02:09:40 -0500
Far be it for me to claim to be an expert on this, but I'd suggest three
possible things to check, assuming your brakes are truly bled...two likely
and one unlikely:

1) The clevis pin which holds the brake pedal in position wears quite badly.
I've replaced them on three of the six MGBs I've owned. This may not only
lead to a sloppy pedal, but you may not be getting much travelm from the
master cylinder, hence requiring several pushes for what normally takes one.

2) While someone stands on the brake and brings it up to pressure, look at
the flexible hoses which run from the brake pipes to the front calipers.
These will deteriorate with age, and may be "ballooning," that is, expanding
with the increased pressure. If you have any doubts at all (or if they appear
cracked or aged), change these guys. Should be done every few years, anyway.
You can buy steel-reinforced hosing which greatly reduces this problem,
though it will lose you concours points...

3) My A-H 100-6 (past tense, unfortunately) had absolutely miserable brakes
when I bought it, despite no obvious leaks. Turns out that someone had fit
rear shoes to the front drums...the rear shoes lacked an adjusting post,
required by the front shoes if they weren't going to take three pumps to
reach the drums. Check to see that your rear shoes are in proper adjustment
(ie, turn brake adjusting nut until drum won't turn and then back off half a
turn), and that there is some meat left on the shoes.

Good luck, and I'm sure I won't have the last word on this...

--Roger