Re: British Cars Digest

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest
From: TUSLER%MP050@ECCSA.Tredydev.Unisys.com
Date: 04 JAN 95 17:07
re: Crosley HotShots...
-------  Forwarded message -------

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 10:23 am PST (18:23:51 UT)
From: CHARLES C STEVENS <STEVENS @ MP068>
To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER @ MP050>
cc: CHARLES C STEVENS <STEVENS @ MP068>

>O.K. Any Mace has stumped me. Anyone know what a CoBra motor for a
>Crosley HotShot is?

Yup.  It's a *SHEET METAL* fabricated engine.  The original four-cylinder
postwar Crosley engine.  The outer case was COpper BRAzed together.  The
"block" weighed in at some ridiculously-low figure like twenty pounds.  The
power-to-weight ratio of this circa-750-cc powerplant was phenomenal.  This
engine was actually much favored in Europe for that reason; I seem to remember
the Italian racing marque OSCA originally being powered by this engine.

Unfortunately, the plates that formed its structure tended to come un-brazed
from each other (partly, perhaps due to electrolytic effects -- highly likely
considering the dissimilar metals used in its construction?).  As successful
as this engine was in the European racing circuits, it did not hold up well
in day-to-day American driving, and was replaced early on in the product line
by a more conventional cast-iron block of similar displacement and
configuration.  I even seem to remember some sort of factory-sponsored
warranty-replacement program on this subject, unusual for the era.

There was an early Crosley roadster powered by an air-cooled opposed twin.
I don't know if it carried the "HotShot" model name.  But I do remember
that the CoBra, as well as the cast-iron block version, was the engine
that powered the earliest Crosley sedans as well as the later HotShot
roadster that I think was based on them.

YMMV; all this is from memory.

    -Chuck Stevens

------- End of forwarded message(s) -------
*Philippe Tusler - El Toro, CA           | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*