more it worked ...

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: more it worked ...
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 18:45:19 -0600 (CST)
Rod asked how testing was done in Texas and gave figures
for comparison. The fact is that I don't know what kind of
equipment they used here (nor, however, would I be able to
recognize a dynometer if I saw one!). It's one of those places
that doesn't allow "customers" in the work area, so the
best I could do was to watch from a distance. I could see
that they placed one hose directly onto the tail pipe and
another one on the floor nearby. Tests were under load at
two speeds, one low and the other higher, I'd guesstimate
around 2500 rpm. The car was tested for HC (ppm), CO (%)
and CO2 (%); there was no testing for NOX. Also, standards
are supplied for HC and CO, but there was no stated standard
for CO2. Well, anyway, here are the results for the MG:

                HC (ppm)        CO (%)          CO2 (%)

standard        650             6.50            (none)

reading         009/005         1.82/0.55       12.23/11.05
(hi/lo?)

By comparison, the standards in Vancouver are more stringent.
Here are the figures that Rod supplied:

                HC (ppm)        CO (%)          NOX (ppm)

standard        600             6.00            (?)

reading         500/220         3.5/3           2748
(hi/lo)

It wouldn't be fair to compare Rod's Rabbit to the MG; there
are variables uncontrolled. Nonetheless, the very fact that Rod's
Rabbit made it through with an entirely unsmogged Weber sure makes me
wonder if I shouldn't have waited on doing all the work!

C'est la vie! (woops, not very British, huh?)

Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn