Datsun carbs, TR6 Wishbone brackets & Wire wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Datsun carbs, TR6 Wishbone brackets & Wire wheels
From: thelaw@aloha.com (Paul Swengler)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 05:35:37 -0500
I was living in Japan from 1970 to 1974 and owned a Datsun Fairlady...
Alas.. It was *rumored* that the first 240Z engine was a direct bolt to bolt
TR6 including the automatic transmission. I can't verify that as it was a
lifetime ago. But the original 240Z had, I believe three SU's. I would think
that any carb that old would show wear whichever side of whichever ocean it
came from.

<clip>
>From: erupert@marlin.ssnet.com

>I am looking for suggestions on cleaning products to strip down the wire
>wheels on my '66 Spitfire.  They are in good condition with regards to rust,
>but I would like to strip them down for re-painting.  A local restoration
>supply shop (The Eastwood Company) carries the "correct" paint color for the
>wire wheels.
>
>Also, any suggestions for clear coating or other protective finishes to cover
>the silver?

                Boy, I expect to get fried for this one. If you feel it
           necesary to tell me how dumb this idea is send the mail to me
               personally so as to keep the group civilized...

I scored a set of 72 spoke 6.5" wires for Nigel that were in need of some
work. I sent them off to a hot tank for 24 hours. I picked them up and had
them sand blasted. I trued them to within 1/4 inch. Then I etched them and
painted them using a epoxy two part primer and top coat. Now here's the rub.
I then took a tube of black GE exterior  50 year rated silicone and filled
the channels over the nipples. I then put in tubeless valve stems and
tubeless tires!

Lo and verily, did it take less than 1.5 oz of lead on the worst wheel. I
got one flat since then but I pulled out the nail used a tubeless repair
plug and have been running since February without problems.

*Note that I'm not recommending anyone do this, it's just what I did.*

to: (Rodney Orr)

Find another welding shop! With the wheels off, the rear brackets are
accessible for welding. I don't know about the front ones cause I didn't
have to weld them.