Not so hot early electric wipers

To: British-Cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Not so hot early electric wipers
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harold)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 16:38:11 -0500
My '61 Metropolitan is equipped with electric wipers.  The only options
are, "on" and "off!"  I hasten to add that "on" means that the wiper blades
move across the windscreen.  The word "speed" seems too ambitious here.
Anything more than a normal rain puts me at the side of the road.  This is
not an unusual condition either.  My '58 Metropolitan, when new, was so
equipped and performed in the same manner.  The early electric wipers I
used were slow, noisy and prone to failure far more frequently than the
older vacuum wipers.  Most vacuum wipers of the time that were in good
repair could easily outperform the early electric wipers.  (That's my
opinion!)  It wasn't long, however, before electric wipers began to
improve.

Dick