Re: Spitfire Reverse Lock-out

To: erupert@marlin.ssnet.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Reverse Lock-out
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 13:21:22 cst
Subject: Spitfire Reverse Lock-out
Author:  erupert@marlin.ssnet.com
Date:    12/29/94  1:29 PM

>I have a '66 Spitfire that I have recently acquired.  I am wondering what the
>best method would be to restore the "lock-out" between 1st and reverse.  Right
>now, there is no resistance between 1st & Reverse.  Was it like this from new?
> Or are there some springs to replace?

I know this one! I know this one!

First off, congratulations on recognizing and owning a truly beautiful
automobile. The early Spitfires were really cool.

Anyway, there *should* be reverse lockout on your tranny. Reverse is locked
out by a small plate screwed to the shift lever extension (pre-mk4). It
was missing on my GT6, too (the gearboxes are identical, externally, between
GT6 and Spitfire). Fortunately, I had a pile of spare Spit gearboxes (hello
Mike Burdick!!!) and the plate attached easily to my gearbox. There is a
screw on the bottom of the shift lever that hits this plate, locking out
reverse. The only way you can get to reverse is by pushing the shift lever
down so the screw clears the little plate.

The plate is part # 2-2100 at Victoria British and costs 90 cents. The screws
are part # 12-2714 and are 20 cents each. The headache will be removing the
tranny cover and shift lever extension to put the plate on. It's easy, just
a lot of work.

If you find yourself in need of a part, I have quite a collection of
early Spitfire parts. Just mail me what you need. This is NOT a commercial
message, I just want to unload this stuff before it rusts away!

>Thanks for the Input.

No problem! And I suggest fixing that lockout. When mine wasn't working, my
wife took of backward more than once, thinking she was in first...

Larry