Re: TR4 Compression - Follow-up

To: lti@garnet.msen.com (Limno-Tech Inc.), british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Compression - Follow-up
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 11:01:26 cst
Subject: TR4 Compression - Follow-up
Author:  lti@garnet.msen.com (Limno-Tech Inc.)
Date:    12/28/94  10:31 PM

>Thanks to all the kind folks who provided technical advice on my question
>regarding low compression in my #1 cylinder.  I pulled the head and found
>all of the exhaust valves to be fairly fried looking, and the #1 valve
>actually sitting below the level of the combustion chamber surface.  My
>local machine shop bead blasted the whole mess, took it apart, and found
>that the only things that need replacing are the exhaust valve seats and
>all of the valve guides.  Surprizingly (to me), they said the valves
>looked fine, met specs, etc., and recommended cleaning them up and reusing
>them.

In my jaded opinion, it's not worth saving $40 to have an old exhaust valve
go south not too long after putting the head back on. Why not spend the $40
and put new exhaust valves in? I've decided the next time the head comes off
my GT6+ (which will come sooner than I want, I'm sure) I'm replacing ALL the
valves and springs. I had the head for my GT6+ rebuilt a year ago, and I let
them put the old valves back in. I lost an exhaust valve recently, and had to
pull the head again. I only replaced the bad valve, but next time I'll do
the whole shebang. Now, I'm not saying the valve was bad, but I'm suspicious.
I DID find out that my rear carb was way too lean, so who knows...

>While I'm waiting for my parts shipment, I am de-carbonizing the piston
>crowns, and generally cleaning up everything that I had to take off of
>the car to pull the head.  I am also thinking ahead to reassembly time,
>and would appreciate opinions regarding:
>
>   1.  Suitable sealants for the head gasket and other gaskets

I used the blue Loctite gasket sealer in the spray can that VB sells, and
I've never had any gasket leak when it's applied properly. When I pulled the
head on my GT6+, after 1 year, about 9,000 miles, it showed no signs of
leaking.  And that's with me driving a bit with the head nuts way under-torqued!
Dumb me, I torqued the head nuts according to 1.6-liter Vitesse specs (40 ft-lb)
instead of GT6+ specs (70 ft-lb). Still no leaks!

>   2.  Threadlocking and anti-seaze products for the various fasteners

I didn't use these. I just torque the nuts according to spec, and I guess
they come off too frequently to seize up ;^)

>   3.  Best method for cleaning up the outsides of the carburators without
>       going to the extreme of polishing them to an (IMHO) unnatural shine.

I just cleaned them off with carb cleaner. A problem I seem to have every time
I pull the head on my car is that the carbs dry out, and the floats stick for
a bit when I first get it going again. They clear up pretty quickly, though,
usually with a tap from a rubber mallet...