SAAB to TR7 engine swap

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: SAAB to TR7 engine swap
From: gall@ultrix.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 14:17:22 MST
I came across a '91 SAAB 900 in one of the local salvage
Auctions. I had a close look and the engine is definitely derived from
the Dolomite/TR7. This engine was the 16V version that SAAB developed
the heads for. NICE LOOKING piece of mechanics.

As someone pointed out, it does have the distributor mounted on the
wrong end of the car - it hangs off of the front of the head which would
place it probably 1" into the firewall on a TR7.

Is this engine worth picking up if the price is right? (I'm thinking
$100 Cdn)

What can be done to relocate the distributor?
My '91 Talon has a camshaft driven angle sensor which is much smaller
than a distrubutor. If I were able to modify one of these dual coli
systems, I could probably get away with the cam-angle sensor.
Unfortunatly, I believe my ECU takes care of interpreting the angle
sensor info into spark timing pulses to run the coils. Could such a
system be bodged into working without the ECU?

Is anybody aware of a spark system that runs independently from the ECU
and doesn't require a distributor to work?

Somebody please tell me: Am I dreaming or is this practicle?

Are there any other drawbacks to using this engine?

Greg. (drooling over a 16V engine in his TR7!)
--
Internet: gall@ultrix.uleth.ca

"You miss too much these days if you stop to think"
By a famous Irish poet and philosopher, Bono of the band U2, circa '91.

'76 Triumph TR7 V8 (Buick 350) Fixedhead Coupe.         _   /|  A
'77 Triumph TR7 4spd, A/C Fixedhead Coupe.              \`o_O'  C
'79 Triumph TR7 Auto Drophead Coupe.                      ( )   K
'73 FIAT 128 Coupe SL 1300cc.                              U    !