Re: old speckled hen/freeze plug absent

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: old speckled hen/freeze plug absent
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 94 15:58:13 EST
Greasings and lubrications, all...

        Orin Harding - Greensboro, NC
        Wrote the following:

>OLD SPECKLED HEN

        >snip<

> As the 50th anniversary of the Abingdon factory approached, MG asked
> Morland, the brewers of Abingdon, to produce a special ale to celebrate the
> event - "Old Speckled Hen" was born!

        >snip, again<

        So where, in the USA, does one procure a pint of said brew? I don't
care to actually consume the stuff (named after a chicken, how good could it
be?) but if there is an official MG booze to be had then I am oblidged to
display the concoction in my genuine imitation English picnic basket at LBC
day.

Other stuff...

        Sweet Wife and I decided to take full advantage of clear blue skies
and unseasonably warm "Boxing Day" temperatures here in Georgia and take Daisy
the Yellow Car out on a jaunt through the country side. She had no sooner
commented on how quiet and genuinely pleasant Daisy had become with the
upholstery
all in place than the engine >dropped< a freeze plug.

        No, the engine did not freeze (50/50 antifreeze mix, night temps at
40 degrees F) The engine idled at 1200 rpm (or so) whilst I put the top down.
The temp guage was half way to the cool side of the "N" (where it likes to be
when warmed up) when the freeze plug went away. The freeze plug was replaced
by the machine shop that cleaned out the block during the rebuild right at
800 easy miles ago.

        Why is that? Why did my freeze plug fall out? Is this an omen of things
to come? Is there no such thing as a fully functional LBC?

        Wade "Suddenly, I feel hot" Massengill
        Daisy the Yellow Car is a 1970 MGB