Online access

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Online access
From: "Dana P. Henry-TRF" <70471.1433@compuserve.com>
Date: 20 Dec 94 17:36:09 EST
 #: 13105 S0/CompuServe Mail  [MAIL]
     18-Dec-94 18:35 EST
 Sb: Online access
 Fm: Bob McLaughlin [75562,3702]

Good Afternoon,
I'm pleased to see that I have electronic access to your organization.  Today
is Sunday at 3:00p.m. (PST) and your order lines are not open except the FAX.
I've just perused your Christmas handbook and have selected several items to be
ordered.  Now to my suggestion;

Perhaps you could accept orders on this medium.  Probably most of your orders
are placed with credit cards, and are shipped to existing customers.  Orders
could be an E-mail consisting of the requested part numbers, description,
quantities, cost, and TRF customer number. I assume you keep a database of
customer information on ordering, credit card numbers, expiration dates,
shipping address etc.  While there is concern over the security of credit card
information in E-mail, reasonable care can prevent most situations.  Internet
addresses could be yet another connection to your customers.  I would suggest a
poll of customers on the phone lines to see how many have on line addresses,
and where those addresses are.

Have you thought of Downloading your catalogs?  Certainly some of your
customers would like their catalog in the electronic version.  This could cut
printing and mailing costs.  I assume your catalog is compiled electronically
and could be converted to a file type wich could be transferred. If not through
a "compuserve" type media, then through a BBS in your own facility.  You
probably posess the hardware and technical ability to make this available.

The governing opinion is that the electronic medium is to be the major
marketing tool of the next several years.  It combines the best concepts of
direct mail communications with capability for large scale data transfer.  I
congratulate you on your vision.  I would welcome the opportunity to discuss
this further, just hit "REPLY".  Isn't that easy?

Bob McLaughlin (RF148616/T6)

To: Roadster Factory, The > [70471,1433]

Bob:  Thanks for your comments.  At present we are set up to take orders
electronically online.  You can email me with parts numbers, credit card
number, etc. and I'll see that the order is immediately processed.  In those
cases when you do place orders I confirm back to you accordingly.
      We have been considering the possibility of online catalogues and
perhaps a BBS, but at this time we're still not sure of the direction we'll
proceed.  I'll keep everyone advised accordingly.

                                               -CHEERS-
                                               ^^^^^^^^