Mini Wheels and Manifold

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Mini Wheels and Manifold
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 20:41:20 MST
@LURK_MODE=OFF

Today Anthony Shaughnessy <Anthony.Shaughnessy@isltd.insignia.com> said
about Mini wheels and carbs

>A couple of Mini questions (I would have sent them to the MINI mailing list,
>but I'm still waiting for a reply to my request to be added to the list!).

MajorDomo appears to be working correctly, so it must by your procedure.
I subscribed you and you should be on by morning. I'll post instructions
in a separate note for anyone else that wants to get on the mini-list.

>I've just been given a set of very nice 10" minilite lookalike wheels. The
>question is, how can I tell whether I can just fit them, or whether I need
>any spacers in to get the right offset?

That's the problem with the knock off Minilites, they only have one
offset. True Minilites were offset differently for drums, Cooper disks
and S disks. I've used generic 5" wheels on drum brake cars without
fouling the suspension, but with 165x10's they tend to rub on the rear
dampers if they are large diameter like Koni's. That's the only reason
you'd need spacers, but as you suspect, they are hell on wheel bearings.
I just cut the top shroud off the Koni's and everything was OK.

>The tyres look quite good, with plenty of tread, but one was completely
>flat. Will this damage the tyre (assuming that there is no visible damage)
>internally, and should I throw this tyre away?

There are 2 different camps here. I had my Mk 2 Jag sitting on a set of
brand new Dunlop SP's for 10 years. I sold the wheels and tyres to a
fellow who wanted the steel wheels for his winter tyres etc. He brought
the tyres back, the tyre store having told him that after that long
sitting still that the belts would have shifted and they would never be
round again and impossible to balance. The other story came from a shop
I deal with who told me that they would even themselves out again after
~300 Km of running. Answer: you ain't got nuffen to lose by trying.

>I also got an SU carb off the same car with a Janspeed inlet manifold. The
>manifold has a tube going from left to right (i.e. parallel with the engine).
>The tube goes the whole width of the manifold, and is about 1/2" diameter. It
>is located near the carb end of the manifold.

It's a water heating tube. It's intended to be connected to the heater
circuit to warm the manifold and assist in atomization. If you're in
Canada you need it connected to prevent icing, otherwise you may not
want to bother because it costs a couple of HP.

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@supernet.ab.ca              |like to race a Mini!     *
'69 Morris Cooper, 39,999.9 Miles and counting!