Re: McLaren

To: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>,
Subject: Re: McLaren
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 14:23:40 EST
>I noticed a short story on television last night (I recall it was on TNN) about
> the new McLaren (am I spelling it correctly?) road car. It's based on the
> McLaren Formula 1 series, and is now available in "street legal" form.

That's a bit off the mark - the McLaren F1 (that's the name of the car)
incorporates some technology from some Formula 1 designs, but it is an
out-and-out road car. The seating arrangement is as you noted: Niki Lauda
commented "Great, now the rich guys can get yelled at by thier wife AND
their mistress at the same time!"

>installed for an exact "dead ahead" location, and performance that is reported
> equal to a Formula 1 car.
  ^^^^^

Maybe that should read "not much more than an order of magnitude less than..."

After all, an F1 car has only one seat. The driver is a significant fraction
of its weight. The McLaren F1 is a lot heavier than 1100 lb....

--
---
John R. Lupien