Re: your mail

To: Stan Fickes <fickes@taurus.apple.com>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 10:49:52 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Stan Fickes wrote:

> Ok, I can understand that.  Why is it hard on batteries even when my
> driving is mostly freeway (15 minutes at ~4500 RPM)?  Needless to say, I am
> having some sort of battery problem.  The car won't start in the morning
> when cold.  Sometimes running a battery charger for 10 minutes helps,
> others I have to jump to my wifes car.  The (five year guarantee) battery
> is two years old.  I have not had any troubles starting the car in the
> evening, just in the morning, usually when the temperature is in the low
> 30s (F).  Thanks!!!  sf

Possibly a battery problem, but not necessarily.  Does the starter crank
at a normal speed when you jump start from a known good battery?  If not,
then a starter (or starter circuit) problem is indicated.  If it does
crank at a good speed, then a weak battery is indicated _but_ the cause
isn't necessarily the battery itself.

Will the battery take a full charge (from a battery charger) and hold
it?  If yes, then a charging circuit problem is indicated.  If no, then
it's a bad battery.

If the charging circuit is the problem, test the generator as described
in the workshop manual.  If it's okay, test the regulator (and adjust it
if necessary).

Before doing anything else, though, go over the entire charging circuit
and make sure all wiring connections are good.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us